Friday, April 4, 2008

What Does Spring Look Like at Your House?

Rick took this picture from our front porch this afternoon. This is what a spring day here in the Kingdom looks like. (I thought it was April?) Katie had a relatively good day. She spent the day a good portion of the day napping in our bed. What a beautiful girl...

I went to work today, where I was pleasantly surprised by positive reports from the sub who covered my classes. It's always a little scary to open the sub folder the day after I have been out, but it's clear that the kids had a good day in my absence. Maybe I should be out more often?

Joshua had a good day at school, too. They are working on addition facts, and he enjoyed making Flubber. (The flubber project appears to have been more exciting than the math facts...) We went out for ice cream after school today with Auntie Teri, and that was fun. I finally caved and bought Joshua the Spiderman Legos he has been coveting, so that was a treat for him, and I enjoyed some grownup conversation.

Poor Rick, on the other hand, spent the day washing Katie's car seat, and that cannot have been a treat given yesterday's vomitfest. The straps were especially disgusting. All the car seat's various parts are strewn about the living room, and I am sincerely hoping that I will not have to reassemble it; that sounds like a good job for gadget guy.

Katie appears to have recovered from yesterday's excitement, although she is complaining about pain in her legs this afternoon. That is easy to fix, and the Tylenol she just took should make it easier to give her a shot of cytarabine, too. The potential glitch, as we look at next week's treatment, is that Katie's liver enzymes are high, and she cannot continue with vincristine until those return to normal. We are hoping that Katie will not need blood or platelets until Wednesday or Thursday, but it is hard to guess what will happen. I would readily admit that my control freak self finds it difficult to accept that some (all?) of this is beyond my control altogether. The best laid plans of mice and men and all that. Oddly enough, I think this process is teaching me to roll with challenges outside my traditional comfort zone. Maybe I will finally "mellow out." Or maybe not. There just isn't enough room in my day for panic. Don't you worry, either. Katie will be fine. Katie will be fine. Katie will be fine. It isn' t a catchy mantra, but it works!

Joshua and Rick are planning to ski this weekend. Many thanks to Gigi Poginy, who found a very short pair of skis in her garage. Katie will be all set next winter if we can just find her some boots. I love looking forward to the adventures Katie will have once she has finished these aggressive treatment cycles. It's fun to imagine a day we can all ski together! Enjoy the snow, friends. (Or join me in hoping that it all melts and quickly! Happy Spring?) Have a nice weekend.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey all, I have been busy all day. And spent some time with Aunt Michelle. We had a few laughs. Went to a Home Party. Katie looks kind of sad today. I am sure you see that a lot. But just remember (better days coming). The Lord is with her. And we are all still praying. You all have a good night. By the way Amy, Joan Swenson and I see each other in church. She is a great lady.
Love to all. Sleep Well!!!!!!!!
Roxy