Wednesday, April 23, 2008

An Adventure for Miss Katie

The bad news is that Katie has another fever. Her temperature goes up at night, and she just cannot seem to shake whatever this is.

The good news is that Rick talked her into eating real food for dinner AND he took her out on the town: The doctor allowed Katie to walk the hospital's halls this afternoon, and she enjoyed herself immensely. This was a brief sojourn--she was back in bed thirty minutes later--but she got to venture out into the hallway for a change of scenery and a dance with dad. She was thrilled, as was her proud papa. I'm so glad she got a break from the isolation chamber in which she has been living.

Joshua continues to do his level best at home. We are experimenting with an allowance that he earns by taking responsibility, himself, for getting dressed in the morning and brushing his teeth. He helped me water the plants today, too. Little by little, he is taking charge of himself. He had a good day at school and showed up in my classroom just before 3:00 with his best buddy Jack. We visited all of Lake Region's teams during a lengthy walk about school grounds (lollipops, too!) before Josh went to Jack's house to play so I could tend to the house. I raked leaves for ninety minutes, and it was great! It felt so good to move and to work some muscles that haven't had anything to do because I have been so busy watching Dora. I expect that I will sleep far better tonight. Joshua didn't even ask for stories. Zzzzzzzz....

Katie was asking for stories when I talked to Rick. She is a story piggy. When I have finished with the laundry, I am going to fill the bookshelves I prepared for her. I know she won't be coming home soon, but I want there to be a good surprise for her when she arrives! There has not been any indication of when the doctors will release Katie, but I can't imagine she will be home soon. I'll take family pictures with me when I visit this next time--and some dvds that do not feature every child's favorite explorer.

I hope that you will all sleep well, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy and Rick, I just wanted to say "Hi" really quick and let you know that I am a faithful reader of your blog....even though usually too busy to post a comment...
I am a sucker for good mysteries and this blog certainly is one...and I only read the ones with a Happy End!
I am very impressed with the amount of medical information you post and am actually reading your blog more often than the lab reports (there are also more laughs in your blog!!!!).
I know that one day we will see you again in our office, and we will be welcoming you with open arms! In the meantime be assured that I will be with you in my thoughts. Oh, Amy, if you ever wanna do a spa day with massage, I will certainly join you!!

Alexandra Bannach

Anonymous said...

Hi all
I am glad Katie and papa were able to go for a walk. I hope the day is going well. Love you all aunt michelle