Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Night Owl

Oh boy are we in for it now! Katie has become a bit nocturnal, sleeping until almost noon and staying awake until almost midnight. Josh described her behavior tonight as being like an owl and only waking up at night. You see, she has a cough again and it keeps her up at night. She will lie down to sleep and she might even doze off for a while. But sooner or later, a dry, non-productive coughing fit will wake her up. These coughing fits last up to 10 minutes and nothing seems to stop them. She does this on and off throughout the night and it has been going on for about three nights now. By the time morning arrives, she is so tired that her body finally stops fighting with her and she falls asleep deep enough to stop coughing. She laid around most of the day today, not wanting to do very much, but when we got home from work, she perked right up and hasn't settled down yet. It is just about 11:15pm as I write. She is snuggled in beside me, watching me type, but also wiggling incessantly. I'm willing to bet that I will be the first of us to fall asleep, lulled into unconsciousness by the soothing scent of Vics wafting off of her body.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you try the vicks on the feet? Everyone thinks its funny but it really works. I hope all is well today. The sun is out but I cant say it to loud It might go in and then who knows when we will see it again. Well back to work. Love you take care.
Aunt Michelle

Heather said...

Ugh... I hope this new phase won't last too long. I guess I know who to call when I'm up in the evenings... being a night owl myself!
Hopefully I will catch up with you at the hospital tomorrow.
Good Luck tonight.
Love, Auntie Heather

Anonymous said...

Hi All, Sorry I have not written. I have been a little under the weather. But not anything like little Katie. Bless her little heart.
And the pain goes on. I wish I could take your pain and sadness away Katie. I don't mind shots Katie. But I disliked them once. Just hang in there all of you. Katie will be well oneday. She & Josh are little angels. Have fun Josh. What will you do this summer after the snow is gone Josh?
Love to all
Roxy