Friday, April 25, 2008

Struggling

Katie continues to struggle. She had a rough day yesterday. She wouldn't eat, and she wouldn't drink. The doctors are planning to push fluids through her iv again, so "the tubeys" are probably coming back. The iv solution does contain sugar, too, so that should keep Katie going.

There were two highlights of Katie's day yesterday: a therapy dog visit featuring a Great Dane taller than her bed and a hot dog. The hot dog was apparently the only food item Katie was willing to consider--she saw one on television, and this inspired her interest--and the hospital staff worked together to pull off the miracle of a hot dog. The menu does not feature hot dogs, of course, and Katie's interest in the hot dog occurred after the cafeteria had closed for the day, so a very kind medical student named Liz probably had to beg, but she appeared with a hot dog just as I was talking to Katie on the phone, and it was clear that this was a breakthrough moment. God bless Liz and the kind fellow in the cafeteria. Susan Guilmette has suggested that we call him Saint Hot Dog, and I like this new moniker. Let's add these two to the list of incredibly kind people who help us out not because they have to but just because they are good. They made her day.

Katie is not having a great day today. Her fever has returned (38.3 C), and her ANC remains 0. I had planned to stay at my parents' house with Josh tonight, but plans have changed. Rick could probably use a break, and I need to see Katie. While it is good to be home--I am happy to be at school and to have some time to spend with Joshua--I need to get back to my girl. My return to her life won't help Katie much. I cannot take the fever for her or lend her my immune system. I need to get back to Katie for my own selfish reasons. I need Katie.

I am hoping to spend some time with my husband this weekend, too, and Joshua really wants to see his sister. We need some time as a family. It feels like each of us is a single parent, like the circumstances have broken our family into two halves that change every few days when we trade kids and locations and responsibilities.

We are managing, though, and I do have a funny story that features Joshua. When he got to Lake Region yesterday, he said, "I was only bad twice. Or maybe three times." What? A long story about rough behavior on the playground followed this revelation, and then he admitted that he had not listened to his teacher. (A mortal sin.) I marched him down the hall, where I called to get his teacher's home phone number and he began making her a picture. When we had finished our horse chores, we called his teacher, and he expressed a great deal of remorse before inviting her to go to the circus with us. When I had regained my sanity and could reflect on the day, I realized two things: He did a really good job in telling me what he had done wrong, and he did a very good job of apologizing. We're getting somewhere! The further good news is that I saw his teacher today, and she is planning to send him to first grade with the rest of his class in the fall. He will be thrilled.

Raising kids is such an adventure. I will forward further information about Katie's day after I have talked with Rick. Happy weekend to you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy you are not selfish for wanting or needing katie, and as her mommy she needs you too. You will all get through this i know you will, have faith. Isn't that what you told me, have faith.

all my love
Ashley