Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Heading Home

It's 11:00 p.m. Do you know where your children are? My son is sleeping peacefully in his own bed, tucked under the covers and dreaming of t-ball. My daughter is on her way home, still, after a very long day in Burlington. Rick and I went to work this morning hoping to hear that Katie's blood counts were high enough that we could postpone the inevitable just a bit longer. Those medications caught up with us, however, and Katie's counts bottomed out; it was time for platelets and for red blood cells. Rick left work at lunch and traveled with Katie to Burlington, where she happily returned to her throne in Post Procedure Recovery (the PPR). She ate like a pig, took a good nap, and behaved herself admirably while receiving the transfusions that sustain her through chemo. We heard an interview on NPR recently in which a comedian talked about his experience with cancer. When asked who he wished to thank for his recovery, he thanked the people who agree to participate in clinical trials, who allow doctors to experiment and to make life-saving discoveries. If I had to thank a group of people who make a real difference, I would thank blood donors. Blood is such a strange gift. But it makes such a difference to kids like Katie. I wouldn't understand what a valuable commodity blood is if I hadn't seen it for myself. I get it now.

This was a difficult day for me, to be honest. I am tired. I am angry and frustrated. I am stressed out. But Josh was a wonderful companion this evening--sweet and funny and calm--and Katie continues to inspire me with her strength and her exuberance. I would be remiss if I didn't mention my husband, who continues to slog through this with me despite what a grouch I am. We realized, yesterday, that we have not had an uninterrupted conversation lasting longer than five minutes in a long time. "What is the point of being married?" I asked. "Would you rather do this alone?" he asked. Good point. Thank God for my husband, who always knows how to settle me down and to keep me focused. Maybe we should take lessons from our kids.

I think they're home! My family is home! Good night, all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning
Sounds like you have a hard day yesterday. Thank god you have a good family to be there for you. amy If you feel you need to just talk call me I will listen. We are very lucky to have our Kelley men. Love you Time for recess duty. Love aunt michelle

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Kelley family,Sorry Amy about your bad day! Hopefully things are better today. I too have a wonderful husband , he keeps my feet planted firmly on the ground.It's nice to be able to lean on him when I need to . Your right about kids, wonderful creatures aren't they. I hope Katie's oil change, we call it went well.looking forward to a good blog tonight.Love to all
Larry, Colleen, Abbie, Travis