Friday, April 18, 2008

ANC of 10?

Katie was lying in bed, looking lethargic and feeling pretty bad when I got to the hospital last night. I was really quite shocked to see her like that since the last time I saw her awake she had been running around and dancing. Apparently, the all day fever was really taking its toll on her little body.

The highest temperature she reached yesterday was 101.3 and by the time I got to the hospital, her temperature with Tylenol was down to 99.8 but her entire body was aching and sore to the touch. The most impressive number I heard last night had nothing to do with her temperature, but everything to do with her blood tests. She is considered neutropenic if her ANC (a portion of her white blood cells) drops to 500 or below. At that magic number, she essentially has no functioning immune system left. Since this ordeal has started she has dropped below 500 many times, but usually, she would drop down to around 200 at the lowest. Yesterday's ANC was a whopping 10. I didn't even know that it could drop that low.

As a precautionary step, the doctors have placed Katie in a special isolation room of the hospital. It is a room separated from the hallway by another specially filtered, sealed off entry-way. On our first visit to Baird 5 back in January, we often walked by the isolation room and wondered who was in there and how sick you had to be to end up in there. Now we know.

At the time of this writing, I am assuming that Katie is still sleeping. Amy spent the night at the hospital with her, and Josh and I went to my brother's house. I haven't called the hospital yet because I don't want to wake them up. I'll call for an update around 9am. Katie should be up by then.

5 comments:

Mike said...

10...that's a great number for fingers or toes, but for an ANC, not so much. Hopefully your new room has a window looking out so you can watch the little birds flying by.
I'll be thinking of you.
Much love.
- Uncle Mike

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelleys: I was saddened to hear that Katie was back in the hospital, even though under the circumstances, that is where she needs to be. I will send my prayers for her quick recovery from this latest set-back --we all know how strong Katie is, and hopefully that will help her through this.
Love to all,
Suzanne.

Anonymous said...

hey guys
I am not one to pray very often but i am praying my little heart out for you guys now. Take good care of our girl, i love you guys.

Love
Ashley

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that Katie has to go through this. I was thinking of her work today and wondering how she was doing. Love to you all. Aunt Michelle

Tina Miller said...

I am so srroy to hear about the numbers! Wow that is really low, I didn't know they could get that low either! It's amazing what your body can do and have it come from out of know where?? Like you said she was dancing around all happy and WHAM!! Just like that. Well I am praying for you all, I am going to Virginia for vac. and I will be checking in to see how everyone is doing. Take Care..
Tina