Friday, April 25, 2008

Unhappy Update

I just spoke with Rick, who had a lot of news.

Because Katie has been sick so long, the doctors are changing some of her medications and preparing for some new tests. They are beginning to suspect that the source of infection may be in her lungs, so they are planning to perform a cat scan this afternoon. They are also planning to change her antibiotics. They are starting to look for less typical explanations of her illness.

(I am learning to hate the word "rare." "We don't see this much" is not a heart-warming phrase, as it places Katie in a category all her own, with possible complications that are more difficult to identify and to treat.)

Katie is getting intravenous liquids again. The doctors are planning to begin intravenous feedings this evening. Rick and I have been concerned about Katie's weight for a while; the doctors are worried, too, so they are preparing for iv food.This should help her keep some weight on. I hope it gives her some strength.

If we are still in the hospital in the middle of next week, the doctors will perform a lumbar puncture to rule out a relapse of the leukemia. So the nightmare continues. That is the worst possible outcome, of course, but I am busy reminding myself that it hasn't come to that yet and that nothing indicates a relapse. She is probably just fine. Our best bet is to stem the tide of panic and simply hold on.

Rick's plan is to enjoy the good moments--she was very happy to see the therapy dogs this morning!--and to remember, in the bad moments, that more good moments will come. I will be very happy to see my girl this afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Katie is not feeling well. I am praying for you as well as all my wonderful friends at school. We love you so very much and will do anything you need.
Love you Aunt Michelle and Uncle Kim