Saturday, April 19, 2008

Still No Change



Katie spent the entire day in bed, suffering from a low grade fever. I know that I wrote that her fever had broke last night, but it came back by 10am and stuck with her for the rest of the day. It left her feeling generally low on energy and unwilling to move, be moved or be touched. However, she did at least have enough energy to interact with people today and was generally in a good mood as long as the person she was interacting with was not trying to take her temperature, take her blood pressure, give her medicine or change her diaper.

Because of the sustained fever, the doctors have added another antibiotic to the stream of drugs flowing through her IV. The cultures so far have tested negative for all of the nasty bacterial infections so far, so the doctors are thinking the cause of Katie's symptoms is some kind of viral infection that her body will have to fight off on its own.

Given that possibility, it now looks like Katie will stay in the hospital until Wednesday or Thursday of this week. Katie hasn't complained yet, but this stay at the hospital has to feel really long. The first time we were admitted, back in January, she was allowed to wander the halls at will, ride bikes, visit the play room, etc... This time, she has been and will be spending all of her time in her little isolated hospital room.


Josh and I will be headed home Sunday while Amy and Katie stay at Fletcher Allen. School starts up again Monday and Josh and I will be back in school and on our regular schedules again for a couple of days at least. Beyond that, Amy is definitely going to need a break and she will be wanting some time back at school herself, so I will probably finish out the week back at Fletcher Allen. I'm not looking forward to spending even a couple of days in Katie's little hospital room. I don't know how Amy has already spend three days in there and is looking forward to another two or three. I want to thank Ryan and Heather for letting Josh and I stay with them this week while Katie has been in the hospital. Josh and Kyler have had a great time playing together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As always you all are in my prayers. I am glad Josh and Kyler were able to have some time together as well as Rick and Ryan. I hope all is well with Heather also.Love to all of you.
Love Uncle Kim and Aunt Michelle