Thursday, March 6, 2008

A Timely Transfusion

Katie is at Fletcher Allen right now getting her fourth transfusion and she really needed it again. Her hemoglobin numbers have been dropping steadily since starting this latest round of chemotherapy and it finally caught up with her. She was tired this morning--very tired, and she was complaining about a headache yesterday afternoon. She hadn't gotten out of bed by the time I left for school, and when I talked to Amy two hours later she was sleeping in the car. We are also wondering if she may be coming down with something or if she is feeling nauseous due to her chemotherapy despite her anti-nausea medicine. She vomited in the car this morning, and she hasn't had vomiting issues before.

This just in. Amy called while I was writing this post, so I can add some additional information.

Katie is most of the way through her transfusion at this point and is feeling great. She has a nice pink color to her skin, she is warm and she is wiggly. Her headache is gone, and even her stomach feels fine.

I also just learned that a researcher at the John Hopkins Hospital has confirmed that the original blood samples did contain small numbers of monoblasts, the indicators of AMoL. Therefor, Katie is no longer considered to have just ALL, she officially has a mixed lineage form of leukemia. The MRD results have also been confirmed, and the monoblasts do appear to be gone at this point.

The doctors have told Amy that these results don't change her prognosis at all because of her previous successes so far. She is still an early responder, and she is still accepting her chemotherapy very well. She is uncommon. She is special. She is Katie, and she is working hard to beat this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi all,
I am thinking of you and had a minute at work. I hope you are all having a good day. Love you Auntie Michelle

HPH said...

Hey Rick,

Hope Katie is having a good day today. Joe Blancado (name check?) just came in and asked for you. Sue Harvey-Bingham just came over and asked for KT's blogspot address to give to Joe.

I'll bet you hear from him.

Hope all is well.

magic man said...

Hello Mr. Kelley

Hope the best for you and katie. by knowing her father katie can beat this no problem but if you or Mrs. Kelley ever need any help call me (673-6721) and maybe we can play some magic or i can challenge you to a arm wrestling contest.

Your friend Joseph C. Blancato

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick, Amy & family,
I am so sorry I have not written. Bad thing happened. I have had to work lately. I hate working I can not get anything done. Katie, I hope you feel better when you get home. I think of you all much more than I write to you. Mom and Dad give little Katie and Josh some kisses and from me. And hang in there . Just remember God is good and he is helping do what needs to be done.
With my Love
Roxy

Unknown said...

so, i'm on a computer. i know, crazy. i just wanted to let you know i'm always thinking of you and love you very much. i'll see you very soon. i'm now officially unemployed again and am in the couch-surfing business so beware. special regards to josh and katie, i'm really looking forward to seeing them both. hang in there.
john