Thursday, March 27, 2008

Queen of the Infusion Bay

I never really doubted Katie's potential as a world leader, but my worst suspicions were confirmed today. She will not be running for President because she will be far too busy proclaming herself Queen. We had a busy but very good day in Burlington, and Katie enjoyed herself immensely. (Isn't this a cancer blog?)

We got off to a good start this morning. Katie did not have any big procedures today, so she was allowed to eat and to drink. Her counts were high enough that we could safely stop in Johnson for coffee, and Katie could come in! She browsed every shelf in the mini-mart before selecting goldfish crackers and milk. Go figure. She was simply happy to have had opportunities to mingle. She talked at me from Barton to Burlington. She made me turn the radio off several times so she could have my undivided attention: "Turn the radio off, Mom. I have to tell you something." Yikes.

I was afraid this would wear off before we reached Burlington, but she raced me down the hall to the Children's Specialty Clinic. She was running and laughing as we entered, happy to see the ladies at the front desk and completely cooperative (for the first time) with Jess, the nurse who does the vital signs. Shannon was ready for us, with Dora already loaded in one room of the infusion bay, and Katied trooped right in on her own. She climbed into her chair, and off we went. She fussed very little when Shannon accessed her port, and she enjoyed her reward: an inflatable ball with the rubber band handle that she then danced with joyously, bopping herself and whacking me in the head with this thing as she sang the ABCs. We were off to a good start.

Katie had lots of visitors today. Heidi brought Katie a monkey, and she loves it. The folks from the Vermont Teddy Bear factory brought bears for the kids to stuff and clothes they could choose for their bears, and Katie thought this was great. She also met Monte, the hospital's mascot, a very large moose. Penny and Alex came to visit, as did the Child Life folks, and Katie had interesting tales to share with all of them. Nurses and doctors were in and out all day--we saw Dr. Homans for the first time in many weeks--and Katie was inspired to entertain. At one point she was standing on the bed in the infusion bay, clad in a diaper and striped knee socks, shaking her booty: "Dance, dance, boogie!" Grandma Kathy and Dora have been trying to teach Katie to share, and their efforts have paid off. Katie elected to share her precious stash of Pirate's Booty. She parceled out servings, one piece at a time, to all the infusion bay staff--the way a queen might reward her loyal servants with token gifts. Yikes. The good news is that Katie told everyone who would listen that Shannon takes good care of her. It's true. I hope Shannon knows just how much Katie really does appreciate her help.

(I appreciate Shannon's help. She taught me how to give subcutaneous injections today. I changed into shorts and let Katie watch as I gave myself a quick shot. I think Katie almost believes that these particular shots won't be so bad. I almost believe that this will be fine. We're determined to make this work. We'll let you know.)

We left the hospital much later than I had expected, so that limited our fun options. Uncle John was at work and the aquarium was closing, so the golden arches looked pretty good. We took Grandma and Grandpa to McDonalds and then to Kmart. (We know how to celebrate...) All I have to say about these episodes is that it is easy to remember, when Katie feels well, that she is two years old. (Why do little kids think its funny to run away from their frazzled parents in crowded discount stores?) I was glad to put Kmart behind us. Katie clearly had more energy to burn, so we surprised Auntie Heather and Uncle Ryan with a visit. This was another highlight of our day. Katie enjoyed the freedom to run and play in a supervised space. She was very happy to see Kyler and to check out his new room. Kyler made Katie a wonderful paper crown. I laughed as I thought about it on the way home; even her cousins are willing to serve Princess Katie.

I know, in my head, that Katie will get sick again, and soon. The drugs she took today are truly awful, and they will challenge her body. That is what makes us so desperate to fit fun into the good days. It is hard to reconcile Katie's behavior today with her diagnosis. No one would ever guess that she is a cancer patient. Even her doctors were pleasantly surprised by just how animated and energetic she was. I am tired, but I am very glad that I spent this day with my daughter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelley Family, Glad to hear things went so awesome yesterday. Were all heading to Jed's Maple Sugar House on Sunday, Any takers ??? It's all free, sugar on snow ,raised donuts, ice cream socials, and much much more.. It's a blast. Abbie and Travis are so excited to go again....The grammy's tag along too....They seem to enjoy this little adventure.. I say.... Any Takers ??? Give us a call, we'll have some fun...
The Percy's

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kelleys: I was laughing out loud at katie's performance at the hospitl--pretty good when the hospital is a fun day! Enjoy each good day,. as you are--it'll help get you through the not-so-good days ahead!!!!I think about you ofter and send hugs until I can give them in person!!!
Spring is just around the corner(I'm not sure what corner????)
Love, Suzanne.