Friday, March 21, 2008

A Perfectly Wondrous Day

We had a very ordinary day. That is, perhaps, the most extraordinary thing about the day we had; it flowed much like any day we might have had in November before Katie got sick. Something about our routine suddenly seemed familiar.

Josh was happy to go to school. He had a playdate with his buddy Jack after school. He came home with a backpack full of Lego catalogs that the ever thoughtful Carmen Tarbox had assembled for him. He ate a good dinner, watched a good movie and went off to bed with Rick, happy to pore through his catalogs while snuggled up next to his dad. As we thought back through the week, we realized that Joshua has not had a real meltdown in nearly a week. It isn't always pretty here--we all get snappy from time to time, and the two kids had at each other a few days ago--but our efforts to stay calm, to set limits and to spend some extra time with Josh appear to be paying off. Spring will help. This is an active kid who needs more opportunities to stretch his legs and to tire himself out. While it certainly does not look like warm weather will ever come--it is very cold, and the wind is wicked--I have to believe that the sunshine will do us all some good.

Katie misses the swings in the backyard. She keeps asking me why the snow won't melt. She has plans for the slide. She doesn't understand why the weather report is still so grim. What can I possibly say to improve her spirits when I find myself opening windows and hoping to catch a warm breezes or some sun? I miss the smell of earthworms. Happy Spring, friends! (grrr...) I'm looking forward to swings and trampolines, too. Joshua isn't the only Kelley kid who has energy to burn.

What a delight it is to write that Katie feels pretty good. She does have some pain in her legs, but she is learning to ignore it, and it doesn't stop her. She played all day long. We watched very little television. I had to chase Katie to shovel in antibiotics. She danced through a cd today, running circles in Joshua's room and falling down dizzy, happy to be using her body and not just living in it. "Shake your booty," she sang, laughing and jumping. "Get up, Mommy. Run!" Good for you, Katie Grace. While Katie's abundant energy made it difficult to complete the housekeeping tasks I had assigned myself, I consumed enough coffee that I could (sort of) keep up with the littlest madwoman, and we just kept moving. We are both tired--a good sign, I think, of a day really lived. I am so proud of Katie, so fully impressed by the will to play I saw today.

This break from treatment will end, and soon. She still has too few white cells, but the numbers are improving, and the folks at Fletcher Allen expect to see us for treatment next Thursday. Another round of chemotherapy will begin, and Katie will get sick. She will be tired and cranky. We will be edgy and tense. We will need to travel to Burlington for transfusions. I am so glad to have had this regular old day. When Rick and I talked, throughout the day, we talked about vinegar for coloring Easter eggs and not about medications or labs. We sounded like our old selves.

There are, of course, reminders that life is not exactly normal. Katie is still neutropenic, so we cannot surprise our parents by showing up at the front doors to ask whether or not the Easter bunny has arrived. We cannot have our traditional Easter egg hunt at Auntie Heather's house. Katie remains confined to the house, so Rick will keep her company, while Joshua and I go it alone at church Easter morning. The Easter bunny will bring blueberries and books, as he always does, but we have had to alter some of our old routines. I am trying to think of this as an opportunity to create new traditions. We'll see what we can come up with. Easter has always been one of my favorite holdiays. I have always loved the way that celebrations and alleluiahs accompany the gradual greenup process of spring. I hope you'll all enjoy the festivities with your families and that daffodils will charm us soon with their cheerful bright faces. Happy Easter, all, and best wishes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter to you all! Spring will be coming. So glad you had such a comfortable, ordinary day!!
Joanie

Mike said...

Glad to hear you guys had such a great day. It is nice when things are normal for a bit. If you need some perspective for spring weather, on our second day of "spring" here on the summit, we had wind chills below -50 and winds topped out at 148.5 MPH. I think spring coming in like a lion is a bit of an understatement! Looking forward to visiting you all and the happy little birds that are soon to arrive.
Love you!
- Uncle Meek

Anonymous said...

Good morning Kelley family
Uncle Kim and I would like to wish you all a Happy Easter.I am so glad Katie had a good day with mom. Ricky my friends at the home dem meeting liked you and Josh very much. They said you were very well spoken and very well informed. Well all for now love you and praying for you.
Love Aunt michelle and Uncle Kim

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelleys: So good to hear you had such a good, Normal, day--I laugh at the word normal because nothing in my life seems normal anymore--but then there are the good days!!!!And we all cherish those.
I wish you a Happy Easter , and I sure you will come up with some new traditions--last year, I was in the hospital, so being home and feeling good is my Easter gift---and I pray for the same outcome for Katie Grace.
Love, Suzanne.