Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Funny (?) Bills

The care we have received thus far is worth every penny, but it costs a lot of pennies...

Given that we are in the midst of an election and that rising health care costs are likely to be a matter of some debate, I thought I'd tell you about some of the statements we are beginning to receive from Fletcher Allen. My jaw drops each time I open the envelope. Individual items are incredibly expensive, and they add up quickly. It would be cheaper to buy Katie a house. And a car. And some ponies.

This is not to complain--My feeling is that the quality of care we have received is worth every penny our insurance company pays for it. This is why I am writing. I am writing with news about our incredible good fortune. Our insurance company has covered all of Katie's bills thus far. The medications she needs have been out long enough that there are generic versions, and they are not expensive. (We hit our annual pharmacy deductible early!) I am happy to make the $10 copay. "You want ten bucks? No problem!"

It is no exaggeration to say that these medications and procedures are saving Katie's life. I would mortgage my life to raise the money myself if I had to. Let me say, right out loud, how fortunate we are. Money is the least of our worries, thanks to Blue Cross. We are very grateful to our insurance company. We have jobs we like with good benefits, and those benefits make all the difference.

What do people do when they don't have health insurance? It's a question I'm thinking about a lot more this year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI guys
I am really glad that everything is being taken care of. The money we are getting for you is for anything you need gas anything Katie wants and needs.Going through this I am sure has been really hard and we just want to make sure Katie has what ever she wants fihsticks tater tots whatever.We love you and care for you very much. Love Auntie Michelle and Uncle Kim

Anonymous said...

I've been reading this blog since I found out about Katie. We recently were told my father might have lung cancer. I find it hard to act normal around him now. How do you and your family get on with every day life?