Sunday, August 17, 2008

Late Morning Update

I'm sorry that this update is late today. I couldn't get Amy to answer her phone this morning. It turns out that she and Katie were out and about in the hospital, playing and exploring. They left before I called and I put off calling thinking that they might still be asleep. There is a rooftop garden visible outside Katie's room at the hospital and they decided to go and try to find the entrance to it. They found it, but the door was locked. We have seen people out there before, so it is allowed, we just have to find the time when it is unlocked.

In addition Katie has been out playing in the hall with a couple of other girls staying on Baird 5. Apparently there was some sort of race involving little pink ride-on cars and tricycles. She has been painting, creating bead bracelets and just walking around. She is feeling good this morning.
Her platelets are low, but the doctors aren't going to give her a transfusion right now unless she begins bleeding for some reason. They would prefer to see her own platelets regenerate and they expect that to happen within the next couple of days. That also means that if her platelets are coming back on their own, other blood cells should start to come back as well. Her ANC will climb and she will be able to come home. Still, it looks like that is at least a couple of days away and one of us will end up missing the first day of school. I have volunteered for that sacrifice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The garden sounds very nice.I am sorry you have to miss the first day of school but I am sure they understand.You seem to work for some very nice people. I love you all and am thinking of you.Hugs and Kisses to all. Josh I hope you have a good first day, one of my students from last year is going to your school.He will be in 1st grade.Goodnight love Aunt Michelle