Wednesday, August 6, 2008

ANC Update

Katie's ANC is over 1500, so we are good to go for tomorrow. It was her hemoglobin that turned out to be low at just 7.2. So, she will be getting a transfusion tomorrow. Maybe she will get some of mine or Amy's blood since we both donated in Burlington just a short time ago and we all share the same blood type. All else aside, tomorrow is going to be a long day. With the transfusion and the LP and the infusion, Katie is going to be at Fletcher Allen from 10am until about 5pm. Then she will get some dinner and finally get back home around 8:30pm. Unfortunately, she doesn't think she needs any sleep to get ready for such a long day so she is still awake despite our best efforts to the contrary.

On another note, we started putting down some flooring today. A do-it-yourself job, it is not... Unless you happen to be adept at capentry which I am not. Larry, my cousin and carpenter for this job, helped me get one room all ready to go and get a few pieces of laminate flooring laid down so that I knew how it went together, then he had to leave for a meeting. I, thinking it would be a snap and the hardest part would be trimming around the door jambs, jumped right to work. I expected to lay in four or five rows, navigating around a couple of door jams until I got to the edge of the hallway and then I would stop. The hallway sounded a little too difficult to tackle on my own since Larry mentioned something about chalk lines and the grain of the wood following the hall. Well, after he left, I worked for about four hours, put in a whopping two pieces and cursed far more than just two times. In my own defense, I did cut one hole for a register and trim around 1 complete doorway and half of another. That was what was required to finish the one row that Larry had started as a demonstration. I could not for the life of me get the second row even started. It just wouldn't "snap" into the first row. It seems to have something to do with how straight I ran the first row, but the walls in this old house aren't straight, so I'm not sure what I need to do to fix this. I sure am glad Larry is coming back tomorrow!

No comments: