Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Tuesday Morning Update

I am home now and back at work. I just called Amy for an update on Katie's condition and she had nothing but good news. Katie has been officially cleared to come home Wednesday. From that point forward, she will be taking a trip to Fletcher Allen every Tuesday and Friday for additional treatments, blood transfusions, and bone marrow extractions. To help expedite the process, the VNA will be coming to the house on Mondays and Thursdays to draw blood from Katie so that it can be forwarded to Fletcher Allen for testing.

Katie is currently covered with petechia indicating that her platelet count is low, but she is otherwise fine. Her IV has been removed, although the PICC line remains in for treatments when she returns to Fletcher Allen. She is still eating and drinking well on her own. She even took her worst tasting medication without problem. The doctors were a little worried that she wouldn't take it, and it has to be taken by mouth. She continues to be an amazing patient.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry your daughter has cancer.
It sounds like she isn't letting it slow her down any.
It is to bad that she got this at so young. At least it is early so it can be fought.

Anonymous said...

What hospital is she at now?
Does she have a favorite animal?
I might send a stuffed animal if it's okay.

Miller's said...

I am so excited that she is doing so well!! She is a fighter, look at the color of her hair!!lol So best of luck getting her home and hope all goes well once there. I can see a BIG party when she gets over this nasty thing!! Kids are amazing at how they take things so well when we are basket cases!! So good luck and keep us all posted!!
Blessing to all
Tina

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick, Amy, Josh, and Katie,
Glad to hear the good news. I stay in touch with Robin every day. Know my thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Katie sure sounds like a fighter and a survivor. I am so glad to hear she is coming home.
Bev Hall

Heather said...

Hello Katie,
Sorry I couldn't come visit you today. The baby is making me stay off my feet for a few days... the little stinker! The pictures I took of you and Kyler yesterday came out so cute! Kyler took copies to school today so he could show his teacher and classmates. I also sent copies to Uncle Ryan so he will be able to see you. He hasn't been able to see your blog yet. Maybe they will let him after this week. I'm so glad you will be able to go home tomorrow, that is great news! Kyler is so excited to play with Josh this weekend at grandma and grampa's house. That will be a special treat. Thinking of you all.
Love You, Auntie Heather

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy and Katie in Burlington and Josh and Rick in Barton,
I'm impressed that Rick got Josh to school on time this morning. But what did you end up having for dinner?
Nana sends her love to all of you. It was so good to see you on Sat. and Sun. I'm so glad our "Sunshine" is well enough to come home tomorrow. It will be so good for all of you to be in your own home.
Anything you need/want, just call.
Love you all,
Nana

Patty said...

Hi Rick and Amy,
I was sorry to hear about Katie but so glad that the news was ALL. We had a friend who had ALL in 4th grade. He is now a healthy 23 year old! I know that you are in for some long days in the next year....but the love and support of family and friends will make the journey easier. My heart goes out to Katie for having to be so strong and brave at such a young age....she is a trooper!
My thoughts and positive energy are with you all....
Patty Morley
PS I work with Auntie Heather

Anonymous said...

Dear Rick, Amy, Josh and Katie,
Thinking of you all often, and loved seeing the pictures of Katie and you all! It is just amazing how quickly Katie was diagnosed and received the medicine and transfusions she needed to start feeling better! Thank you so much for writing this blog...
Thinking of you!!!