Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sleeping at Six

Ten fish sticks later, we are back in bed. My bed. The one with flannel sheets, wool blankets and a down comforter. This has always been my version of paradise, and I am happy to share it with a little girl who is now very happy.

Throughout this journey, Katie has been rough on a lot of people. She warms up to people after a bit, but it is hard for me to accept that my feisty but always friendly child is now capable of yelling at (really yelling at!) some of the people she needs most (like grandparents and nurses). Oddly enough, she rarely yells at me. It is an honor to belong to Katie's inner circle, but this membership terrifies me, too. This is the same (and very overwhelming) sense of responsibility that I first felt when Katie was born. She has faith in me. I have to make this work. For the record, I will cook hundreds of fish sticks and butter thousands of noodles if that is what it takes to keep her calm and content while the medications do their work.

If only it were that easy. Tomorrow morning we drive to Burlington for Katie's first outpatient visit, which will include a bone marrow aspiration and a lumbar puncture. Katie will be sedated for these procedures, and she will not be allowed to eat for eight hours. It won't be pretty.

Until then I will count my blessings. Josh has joined us in bed, so I'm signing off to curl up with both of my beautiful babies. What a luxury!

6 comments:

Miller's said...

So glad that she is eating like a little piggy!! She has a lot of catching up to do by the sounds! Well i wish you the best luck today it will be a long and trying one as it sounds. Take care

~Tina~

Anonymous said...

Good morning my little family,
I'm so happy you are all home together. Yes, it is wonderful to curl up in bed with your babies. Katie can be fiesty and yell as much as she'd like ... especially to those who love her and she feels safe knowing we will always love her unconditionally. I agree with your dad...let her get well and deal with yelling and fiestiness after.
Love you all and look forward to seeing you. Love Nana

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone
so glad she is home. I would love to be in a nice warm bed. Me and uncle kim want you to know how much we love you all. You are in our prayers every day. I love that we can check up on katie with this site it is great.
Love Aunt Michelle

Anonymous said...

Glad to here Katie is home, she is such a trooper. Best wishes, thanks for all the updates!

Greg

Anonymous said...

Hi its aunt Michelle again. I just cant stop thinking of you today. Wanted to let you know we are working on a few things to help you out. I know sometimes we think we can do it all and dont want help but you really will need it down the road. There are people who want to help. That I will do. Justin is home for a little while and loves doing that stuff. Give kisses and hugs for me. Love Aunt Michelle

Anonymous said...

Hi, I guess my post did not get on today. I did see it there but Michelle did not see it. So I will write again. So glad to hear you are doing better little one. You are just a special little lady. You do not know me , but I am your Aunt Michelle's Mom. And she tells me you are beautiful. And I agree with her. May God watch over you and heal your little body. And when you are better I hope you come see me.
Lots of Love and prayers to you , Your Mom, Your Dad & Your brother.
God Bless You Sweety.
Roxy