Saturday, January 19, 2008

Saturday End-of-Day Update
















Katie had another great day today. She was energetic and in good spirits despite being woken up every 3 hours during the night for a check up and then not getting a nap today until about 3pm. Her blood counts are good right now. Red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets and hemoglobin are all within acceptable limits.

After changing the PICC line, we have had no further troubles with that and blood is being drawn and medicines given without needles or further pain.

Josh finally got his chance to come to the hospital and visit his sister. He knows that she is sick and that she is in the hospital, but he doesn't quite grasp just how sick she is or why it is so important to keep germs and viruses away from her. However, he is playing along nicely and wearing a mask and washing his hands frequently while here. They got to spend some time checking out the play room with us and then hanging out in bed watching TV and eating Popsicles. Katie just can't seem to get enough Popsicles.

I wanted to post the actual cell counts from her blood tests today, but I left them at the hospital and I am now resting comfortably with my in laws who live nearby in South Burlington. I have Josh with me tonight while Amy stays at the hospital with Katie. I will try to post specific cell counts tomorrow for those of you who are interested. I will also take Josh back to the hospital to spend more time with his sister and tomorrow night Amy may take a break and come stay here with Josh while I stay with Katie. Parents just don't get much sleep in the hospital.

1 comment:

sblanton said...

Hi all, The website is great. I have been getting daily updates from Heather and Hessler parents. You are all in our prayers. I may stop by tomorrow, but don't need to go into Katie's room if it is a problem. I know that you need to limit the number of people she is exposed to. Please let me know if I can do anything or make something for you that would make me feel more useful in this situation. Love, Susan B. and Stu