Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Gods are Smiling on Us


I just signed on to fill you all in and discovered that my husband has already done all the dirty work. I will sign off, then, to enjoy a badly needed shower. Before I go, I want to thank my parents, who continue to rescue us. When we are at home in the Kingdom, we have access to a tremendous network of friends and loved ones who meet all our needs. My parents are our best resource in Burlington. When it appeared that Katie would need a time-consuming transfusion last night, I called home immediately. It was 3:30, and Katie had not eaten since breakfast. She needed fish sticks--an item that does not appear (I can't imagine why!) on the hospital's menu. Just half an hour later, Katie was eating fish sticks, tater tots and buttered noodles--her current version of culinary paradise. Grampa remembered the ketchup. Thanks to my parents, Katie had everything she needed, and I was so grateful for the company. Grandma had also been shopping for warm, funny hats that will come in handy soon. We both really like the kitty cat hat, so we'll try to get a picture of her in it for you all. Many thanks, as well, to Susan Blanton, who knit Katie the softest and prettiest hat in raspberry and lime green. It looks like a dish of sherbet, and Katie wore it all day yesterday. It provided her with a lot of comfort during a long and challenging day. In blue jeans, a hoodie sweatshirt and this little hat, she looked like she belonged on a snowboard. We had planned to teach her to ski this winter, but our plans are on hold. How I wish this were a regular old winter just like every other...

The wonderful news is that freezing rain came to the Kingdom, and we have the day off. Joshua and I hunkered down under the blankets for hours. Someone is looking out for us. It is so nice to be home with my whole family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys
I didnt sleep very well last night I had Katie and Amy on my mind. I am glad you are home safe.I do believe the lord is watching out for all of you. Ricky it was nice talking to you on the phone. Please let us know what you need. There are bags of pancakes for Josh at your moms. I also left more money.Love you guys Aunt michelle and Uncle Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone,
Now you have rime alone with your family. Very nice. I am glad Katie can eat those fish sticks today.You are right about our God he is always doing things in his own way. And are always for the best in the end. Keep getting better Katie and take good care of your sister. You needed a day off from school today. And Mom must have enjoyed you. Have a good night.
Love Roxy

Pulse of Health said...

Hi Rick, Amy, Josh & Katie! Nice to get a quick hug from Amy today. The blog site is great and generous with nice pictures, fun statements (...what was that "soupy slop"?)and information. The strong family and love comes through and inspires me. Gloria has been asking questions about how everyone is doing so she will love to see the pictures of the Kelley family. Nice to hear that Art is close by to help, provide support, etc. ( I need to take another workshop combining golf and science; his was the best yet!) take care, Greg H.