Monday, February 18, 2008

Snow Day #3 (We're Not Kidding...)

Welcome to a rainy Monday morning in the Kingdom, where road conditions have forced ANOTHER snow day. We will be teaching in July. My friends have been telling me to enjoy the free days--I'm not using up my precious sick days if we're all home on a snow day. I miss teaching, though. Katie's illness and the weather have made this semester a choppy experience at best so far. It would be nice just to teach--to see the same kids every day, to grade papers, to enter grades, to run the photocopier. Sigh...

The good news is that the kids continue to do well. Joshua is glad to have another day at home. Katie just had her first real shower in weeks. Nausea has really settled in, but the antiemetic works quickly and well. We had a party yesterday: Chinese takeout for four! We have been limiting sodium for Katie (did you know they make low sodium hot dogs?), but I thought that maybe the kids deserved a little treat, so we splurged. Katie is officially finished with induction, and most of our doctors have said that it gets easier from here on in. It seemed like we might be overdue for a celebration. Joshua and Rick picked up takeout on their way home from skiing, and we had some fun. You should have seen their greasy little faces!

Once we had cleaned up our mess--Katie can spread rice through three counties in just minutes--we did some painting. We even shared a bedtime story. Joshua and I have been reading Little House on the Prairie, and Katie joined us in time to learn about fording rivers in covered wagons. She was enthusiastic and engaged, asking questions and retelling the story. Joshua was surprisingly patient with her interruptions. It is so much more fun to have time at home together when both the kids have energy enough to play and learn. Katie is currently dressed in an outfit she chose herself--a flowered shirt and striped pants. It seems her bossiness may be returning. She is pulling at the drawstrings on my pajama pants, looking for more breakfast and a good book. It may be a Laura Ingalls Wilder kind of day.

5 comments:

Debbie Reese said...

Good morning,

Wondering---when you get to the parts of LITTLE HOUSE about Indians, how do you discuss these portrayals with your children?

Anonymous said...

Hey, there-- I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still with you, insofar as I think about you daily and check the blog religiously. In response to Debbie Reese's post-- sounds like a good opportunity to breach the subject of racism. I recommend a book called "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria," by Beverly Tatum, PhD, for for information and advice on the subject.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Sounds like you all had a good day. I had to go to school. That is ok I also like being with the kids. That is why I work with them 11 hours a day. Then I go home to uncle Kim and you know that is like being with another kid. Love you guys thinking of you. Heather if you get on I am glad to hear Ryan did well. We are thinking of you and your family also. Love you all Uncle Kim and Aunt Michelle

Anonymous said...

Hi all, I am sorry I have not written to you all but I have definitely been thinking of you all. I also have not stopped praying for you all. Katie, you are still a beautiful little doll. We Love you and can not wait until Aunt Michelle and I can come see you. Be thinking about what you want us to bring you when we come.
Love Roxy

Heather said...

Hi-
Sorry you are having such a stressful night. Know that we are thinking of you. I'm glad you are back home and praying that you have a peaceful night.
Love You, Auntie Heather