Sunday, February 3, 2008

The End of a Good Day

Yesterday was one of our better days. Katie was feeling good and in a good mood all day long. She still didn't have enough energy to get off of the couch, but she did do a little painting and was happy to knock over any block towers that I built close enough to the couch for her to reach.

She also finally developed a taste for foods other than fish sticks yesterday. She ate oatmeal, salad and Sheppard's pie on top of her normal dose of fish sticks and Tater tots. In addition to that, I was also able to get her to take a little bit of a Dora break, mostly to save my own sanity. Instead She watched Open Season, Cars and The Cat in The Hat.

The complete immersion into a world of watching videos all day long while lying on the couch eating is not something we have promoted in the past and is something I will happily get away from again as soon as she has the energy to get off of the couch. We purposely did not pay for cable, dish, or even an antenna in our house. The kids exposure to TV was specifically limited to the DVDs that we purchased or rented through NetFlix, and then it was only one video per day if we were really feeling too busy to entertain them in any other way. The TV is now on all day long with one DVD or another playing in it, and I can't wait for the day when I get to shut it off again. But for right now, while Katie's entire day is spent either on the couch or on the little fold-out Dora couch/bed right in front of the couch what else are we going to do?

She doesn't usually have enough energy to color, play with blocks, her tea set, doll house, or hundreds of books. On top of that, she gets sick of listening to us read to her after a while. I'm really looking forward to the day I get to see her running and playing again.

Our house has a fairly open design which allows the kids to run in a circle from the dining room into the living room and through another connected room back to the dining room. It is their own personal race track for all sorts of games and I miss the sound of running feet as half of the family zooms around the house, running lap after lap just because they are young and have energy to burn.

Josh had a great day yesterday. We started his day with some sliding. I took him to a farmer's pasture that sloped gently down hill for a REALLY long way. With the icy snow conditions, that made for a very long, fast ride. We played on that hill for a little over an hour, then he went swimming. His mother took him to IROC to meet some of his friends for a little swimming adventure. When that was complete, He went to a friends house to play for a bit and finally came back home to relax at the end of the day. He had a great time. We will probably get some more sliding in today to take advantage of these excellent snow conditions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how frustrating it is to see Katie without any energy--I went through that myself 10 months ago, and being a type "A" personality, it was very difficult for me. But now things are better--I am not running circles in my house < but I am able to function pretty normally--and Katie will too, when her blood values get closer to what they should be.
I hope she and you have another good day, and know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. from Suzanne(from Sheffield, friend of Mr. and Mrs. "H".)

Heather said...

Hello from Smugglers,
Sorry we are cut off from you this weekend. No cell phone service up here... this morning I decided I needed to see what was going on and figured out how to sign-up for the wireless service up here. The kids have been skiing with Pop-pop, and Eric skied with friends (on his own!!) yesterday. I hope that when Ryan gets back we can hook up Kyler and Josh for some skiing. I haven't talked to Ryan since Wed, so I'm not sure what's going on down there...
Talk to you when we get back home. Give Josh and Katie big hugs and kisses from us.
Love You, Auntie Heather

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone
So glad yesterday went well. I hope she liked her little bag Uncle Kims co worker made her.I made sure to spray it so it was germ free. Love you lots Aunt Michelle

Anonymous said...

Praying for your little Angel......

I am a Co- worker of your Uncle Kim's and just wanted u to know that Katie and the entire family are in our thoughts, we too have a family member who was plagued with cancer, but he has been cancer free for 6 yrs. now and u just take it day by day and hold them close to your heart and cherish everyday and live every moment, cause we are firm believers that god doesn't give u more than u can handle, hold on to the faith......She is beautiful little angel on earth......stay strong to all of u and we will keep looking in are her progress and we will get updates from Uncle Kim......God Bless......Msa employee

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie and all,
You are a trooper, and so glad to hear that you are doing better.
And happy that Josh is havimg a good time. Wow! Josh I am too old to slide down a big fast hill. But it sounds like fun.
Rick and Kelley , I hope you are doing ok. It is trying and tiring. Sorry we can not help. But our prayers are going out for you.
God Bless You All
Roxanna