Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Long Day #2 (Or is it 200?)

Katie and I drove to Burlington today for an early appointment that ran long--another nine hour day for Princess Kate. There is good news. Katie's white cells continue to divide and to multiply as they should; she has more healthy white cells than she has had in weeks. Thanks to some kind soul out there who remembered to give blood, Katie received a wonderful gift: healthy red blood cells to combat the anemia that leaves her so sluggish. I think of this as an especially fitting gift given that Valentine's Day approaches! The further good news is that Katie spent the day with Grandma Kathy, who continues to provide us with nourishment and good cheer. (Josh likes the Valentine's Day cookies, while Katie cannot get enough of the hospital's Southwest chicken wraps. Personally, I depend upon Grandma for deliveries of liquid caffeine in all its delicious forms. There is no accounting for tastes...)

Unfortunately, Katie continues to find many food items tasty despite ongoing problems with constipation. Lots of food goes in, but very little ever comes back out. She is absolutely miserable. The further problem is that the doctors are running out of medical solutions to our little dilemma. Katie takes two prescription laxatives now, and the doctors gave her an additional incentive today. She has had enough medical help that she should be able to pass a bowling ball. Katie has always been strong willed, however, and she is apparently refusing to cooperate. I cannot imagine why she refuses to go, as she is extremely uncomfortable. The aforementioned bowling ball would be smaller than the belly she carries around all day, and she complains constantly about belly pain. She hurts. The truly awful part is that I have yet to relieve her pain--a difficult truth to accept. Katie is increasingly good about articulating her needs--she is learning to communicate in this new language--but we cannot meet some of her needs. She has leg pain, for instance, and we knew to expect this, but it is still frustrating to note that the side effects have multiplied. When I talked with Dr. Homans Monday night, he told me that his last toddler patient (a little boy Katie's age) was absolutely miserable in the last few days of induction but that the situation improved not long thereafter. I am hanging on to this idea with a desperation born of fatigue and worry. It is comparatively easy to rely upon my sense of humor during the day, but more difficult to do so in the evening, when I get tired and grumpy. Say it with me, folks: Just two more days of steroids. Just two more days of steroids. Just two more days of steroids.

Tomorrow we learn more about plans for Friday's port placement. More about that when we have heard...

Best wishes. Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi All,
I can't imagine the stress of it all. My daughter was on steroids also for medical reasons. The weight gain and bloating is terrible and they can make you irritable. It sounds like things are working, hopefully she is able to have a bowl movement. That would help the hurt in her little belly. I hope her blood count continues to improve. Know my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Bev Hall

Anonymous said...

HI everyone
Sorry to hear that Katie is hurting. A friend of mine gave me a heart with an angel in it. she said it is to take out and hold when I worrie.She gave one for me to give to Amy and one to Jean. I must say it does help. I will get them to Jean and she can give it to you. Love you all Aunt Michelle