Sunday, February 3, 2008

One Day at a Time, Happily

What a pleasant weekend we have had. One happy day at a time...

Rick and Joshua know how to keep moving. They have not rested much this weekend; they have been far too busy exploring. Joshua was especially happy to get out on his skis this afternoon. He is learning to glide and finding his feet. They came home with flushed pink cheeks this afternoon, a picture of perfect health.

I really do believe that Katie is slowing regaining her health, too. She took a long nap this morning and continues to spend time on the couch, but she is up and active for longer periods of time, and she interacts far more with the world around her. She scoots around the house, troops up the stairs and manages the affairs of our household with a ferocity and sense of purpose that I admire. I had missed my bossy boots. She continues to paint and to experiment with new ways of making a total mess while painting. It comes as no surprise to me that her new favorite book is "Ain't Gonna Paint No More." She has a lot in common with the messy little creature in this story, and she is learning some of its rhymes. It's thrilling to discover that she is still enthusiastic about learning when she is feeling well enough to practice new ideas. As I write, Dora is teaching us to ward off snakes with the word for snakes in Spanish. Katie should be bilingual by the time this madness has ended!

It would be fair to say that Katie's illness has changed our priorities. We are learning to appreciate minor miracles and to enjoy small victories. My husband, for instance, returned from a trip to the barn with a Diet Pepsi for me, despite his very cranky feelings about soda. How many relationships survive because of small but meaningful gestures? A few weeks ago I might not have been quite so excited about a peaceful weekend at home with two happy children. It was just another weekend at home. Given all that we have experienced in the last few weeks, however, this is a minor triumph, and we are far better prepared to venture forth into the challenges of the week. I hope you'll have a good week, too.

3 comments:

Miller's said...

Glad to see you all are having a great wkend! It sure is amazing the little things in life that we so much enjoy! We will thank someone later on i am sure! Well take care and hope you all have a great wk. think of you all often.

Anonymous said...

One day at a time, enjoying all the little joys, sure sound like the wise way to brave all this. Thinking of you so often.

Anonymous said...

Hi: So glad that you had a good weekend. I sure know what you mean about learing to prioritize--my illness has made me appreciate everything in my life. It does sound like Katie is responding to the meds, and starting to have more energy. It happened that way with me, and it's feels good!I hope you have a great week.
love, Suzanne.