Sunday, May 11, 2008

Running Around

Happy Mother's Day to all of you.

We celebrated in grand style, fitting in as many activities as we could this weekend. Yesterday we got down to business, running to t-ball, packing books at the old Sacred Heart school and working on the basement. Today was a play day. We filled our day with fun and family.

Our day began at Parson's Corner, where we had breakfast with Rick's mother. Katie ate enough potatoes to feed a small nation. Joshua ate an astonishing amount; he can really wipe out pancakes. The kids were both very happy to take their grandparents to the barn for a visit with the horses, and we stayed at the barn to celebrate Mother's Day with Nana. Josh dragged Uncle Sean up to the hay loft for a game that involved a lot of running and noise, while Katie relaxed in her swing. Joshua washed my car while Rick set up the new television. There were adventures for all.

We raced home to meet my parents, who brought Uncle John for a visit, too. This is the first holiday we have spent together in a long time. Katie and my parents helped me weed the blueberry plants. Josh took Uncle John for a walk up to Crystal Lake, where they waded in the water, chased geese and told stories. They had a grand old time and returned to find that my clever husband had built Joshua a tree fort with nothing but wooden pallets and some baling twine. Joshua loves his new fort and spent much of the late afternoon and evening up in the tree. He wore a harness, and Rick supported him on belay, so he was safe--don't worry--and he thoroughly enjoyed swinging from the trees like a monkey. We called it a day after steak and potatoes (life is good), and Katie returned to her swing, full of broccoli and itching to play. Our life isn't perfect, but a day like today comes pretty close.

The unfortunate news is that the medications she took last Thursday and Friday are beginning to affect Miss Kate and that she is struggling along with both nausea and constipation. She got sick tonight, ended up in the tub with Rick and is now curled up next to me in our bed, sound asleep and very content. I am sorry that she got sick, but honestly, this isn't a bad way to end Mother's Day. When Katie really feels bad, I always ask, "What is the most important thing?" "I love you," she dutifully replies. "I love you, my little friend, and that is all that really matters." Happy Mother's Day to one and all. I hope you enjoyed the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi all
I also had a very nice Mothers day.If you go out for a ride you have to come see my little pond that Justin made me. It has 25 little gold fish in it.I love it.I hope you all have a good day. love you aunt michelle