Saturday, May 10, 2008

Fiddleheads

So it's a strange title for an entry in a blog chronicling the life of a child with Leukemia, but it makes sense because I am eating fiddleheads as I write this entry. At least I think I'm eating fiddleheads. I have never eaten fiddleheads or watched anyone pick, prepare or eat them. But after a little research on the internet, I am fairly confident that I can accurately identify fiddleheads growing in the wild, and tonight I stumbled across some beside the river where we had our dinner. So, Josh and I picked a couple of dozen and brought them home. I just cooked them up and ate about half of them while thinking about what to put in the blog for today. They weren't bad. They were nice and tender like a soft green been but they didn't have the asparagus/mushroom like taste that I had been lead to expect. Maybe I over cooked them. My main concern now is will I still feel good a few hours from now or have I just eaten something I probably shouldn't have. I guess I'll find out.

To tie this back to Katie, it is safe to say that I didn't feed her any of the fiddleheads. I am the only person taking part in that experiment. She is happily eating other, better known food tonight. She nibbled some popcorn chicken earlier along with a little of my chicken sandwich and her mother's fish sandwich. It was a fitting end to what has been an overall pretty good day.

She got outside this morning to watch her brother play t-ball. She spent some time with Josh and I at the barn, shampooing the horses and going for a walk in the woods to try and find a turkey that we could hear calling. She got to take a nice little nap this afternoon while snuggled up next to her dear ole dad and her brother. And finally she got to go out to dinner at the B&W Snack Bar. That is where the popcorn chicken, the chicken sandwich, the fish sandwich and the fiddleheads came from. We had to order and pay for the normal, every day food; but I spied the fiddleheads from my vantage point at the picnic table and we were able to bring home that little experiment free of charge. Katie is now sound asleep and I will let you know how I'm feeling tomorrow. Happy mother's day to all the mothers who read this post Sunday. I wonder if my mom would like me to pick her some fiddleheads tomorrow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone
It sounds like you are really getting out and enjoying the sun. We got back from the weekend in North Conway and was glad to see how everything is going. Happy Mothers day Amy and Heather and Jean.To any one eles I have missed. Love to you all. Aunt Michelle

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone, It is nice to hear about the good day you have had. It even sounds like fun.
We had a very busy 2 days also. Went to Mothers day dinner after church. It was very good. It sounds like Katie is doing very well. And Josh also. And even Mom. What a wonderful thing being Mom.
Quite stressful at times. But also a warm feeling.
Happy Mothers Day and many more Amy. You are a good Mom.
Love Roxy