Friday, May 2, 2008

Further Good News

"Blog, woman. Blog," my husband scolds. He is putting Katie to bed, and I don't expect him to return any time soon. It's a lengthy process involving many stories, and they are just getting started.

I am fighting fatigue myself, but there is very good news to report: Miss Katherine Grace made a trip to the lab for blood tests today, and the results are amazing. She has platelets to spare (123,000!), her hemoglobin is fine (9.9), and her ANC has jumped from 190 to 726. She has not had a neutrophil count this high in a long time.

I called the kind folks at Fletcher Allen today to express our gratitude and to tell them just how well Katie is doing. There is no way to explain just how happy I am to be home with two healthy children. The version of Katie I came home to after work today shares very little in common with the Katie who occupied that hospital bed. The Katie who lives in this house doesn't need to watch television because she is so busy playing. And eating. And laughing. Katie was out back in the swing when we made it home from school, smiling and celebrating our return.

Josh was right about "the happy tears," by the way, and he deserves credit for having inspired them. Katie was laughing last night as she ran between her brother and her dad. "Come to me now, Katie," Josh would cheer, and Katie would lurch in his direction, giggling and reaching out for his hug. It was a tender moment. I was happy to see Katie enjoying herself and using the muscles she needs to develop. Her strength is returning. The real beauty of the moment for me, though, was the joy I saw in Joshua's face as he encouraged his sister to run and celebrated her efforts. Most of the time, I have ordinary children who fight about toys and boss each other around. These were not ordinary children. The love reflected in those two smiling faces was real, and it was powerful. I was so proud of them, so fully in love with them. Joshua can make Katie laugh like no one else can. He is such good medicine for her. I can be hard on Joshua--he is five, and he is relentless--but there is such good in him.

I am a very lucky woman. I don't need a thing for Mother's Day this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I'm so glad katie is doing so well and that josh is so happy. you are right you are a luck woman, two beautiful children and my best friend for a husband...yup lucky is the word i would have used too. Enjoy every moment Amy, you deserve to be happy, you are a wonderful woman and Rick is especially lucky too.

Ashley