Monday, July 7, 2008

The Steroids Are In Full Effect

The Dexamethazone has taken over the lovable personality that was Katie Grace and turned her back into a very difficult, argumentative, screaming, crying mess for a good portion of each day. It unfortunately only took three days for the steroid to make its presence felt which is not what we were hoping for since she will be on the steroid for five days at a stretch, once per month for the next two years. We were hoping that by the time, the effects were really being felt, the five days would be up and she could basically continue a relatively normal life. It looks like that will not be the case. On a positive note, this current round of Dexamethazone is only going to be seven days on, seven days off, then seven days on again and we are four days into this first seven days.

Today, we are back in the Burlington area again so that Katie can get another dose of chemotherapy at Fletcher Allen while Josh and I wait for her at my brother's house. She gets the drugs she needs and Josh and I get to visit with my brother and his family for the first time in a few months.

2 comments:

Tina Miller said...

Hey Guys! JUst checking to see how the little girl is doing? Sounds like it might be a tough one for a while now. Glad you guys got to have some really fun times and some good laughs, I know you guys will make the most of this and look on the bright side of things. I almost called you on Thursday I was going up to Derby to visit my parents and the kids were with me and Mike had his birds with us! Yes birds Cockatiels he has 2 and as I drove past the Barton exit I said to him OMGoodness, I should have phoned you guys I am sure the kids would have loved to see the birds? But as you see I didn't do it! Sorry and then i was not sure if this would be good for Katie they don't stink or anything they wear diapers, yes diapers for birds, its a hoot but I can't have them messing all over the house and Mike takes them everywhere we go, they went to the parade in Derby the guy from the Newport paper took his picture for the 2nd yr in a row with them but as I hear he did not make the paper. They are very friendly birds. But maybe next time if its alright with you guys for the kids to see the birds? Well hope your next few days are good ones, going to be hot ones that is for sure.. Take care..
Tina

Unknown said...

greetings from the island, just checked in to see how everything is going. i loved seeing the photos and miss you all. talked to mom today and seems like things are getting tougher and my heart is with you. i actually sent a card ( i know, out of character) but you wont get it in time, but happy birthday amy, you are my hero and always have been. love, john