Friday, June 13, 2008

On The Mend Again

This morning, I have good news to report. Katie is feeling much better today. Her nausea seems to have passed and she is keeping food down. Keeping food down means that her blood sugar levels were okay this morning when tested at North Country Hospital. We still have to push food, but so far, we aren't pushing for every single morsel that enters her mouth. We are now pushing for whole servings of food. She has lost weight and we would like to see her put some of that weight back on. Her pediatrician suggested that Katie's very low body weight is contributing to her low blood sugar problems because if she gets sick and skips a meal, her body doesn't have any fat left to convert to sugar and work with. Fattening her up should improve her ability to handle bouts of nausea in the future.

I never thought I would say this, but I think we could really use the steroids again. I know that they created a ravenous, cranky eating machine the first time around, but she also put on weight while on the steroids. I could happily skip the cranky aspect of the drugs, but I'm looking forward to the fattening up.

For those of you who have children. Do you remember when the doctor would weigh your kid and say that he/she was in a certain percentile. Well, Josh was always in the 90th percentile for his height and weight. Katie has always been small and has historically been in the 10th percentile for height and weight. With her current fat reserves issue, she no longer even registers on the chart for weight, but she is growing a little taller and has now reached the 20th percentile for her height.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear that Katie girl is doing better. And better every day.
I can not wait to see you all again. Eat all you can Katie. We all want you well.
How are you doing Josh? What are you doing now that you can not ski?
I am very tired tonight. So I am going to bed.
Take care and Love to all
Roxy