Sunday, January 25, 2009

All Tests Are In

Since I express some feelings in this blog post, I wish to point out first that I, Rick Kelley, Katie's dad, am the one writing this entry and not Amy, her mom.

The remaining test results from Katie's bone marrow are in. There is still no sign of cancer and the tests revealed that her cells are maturing as they should be. To say that information was a relief is an understatement. Further blood tests also indicated that Katie's antibody count was low. Her count was 420 but I foolishly didn't ask what normal counts should be. Her ANC dropped again too. She was just over 500 Monday, but by Thursday she was back down to 220. However, in an effort to boost her immune system and fight off her cold and her virus, she received her first IVIG (Intravenous immunoglobulin) Thursday. We have been asking for Neupogen for some time to help boost Katie's immune system, but we didn't even know another option was available in the form of the IVIG until two days before Katie received it. I can't tell you exactly why one option was chosen over the other option, but I can tell you that I am glad that something was done.

Today, several days after the IVIG, Katie is feeling better. She is currently suffering from Laryngitis, and her swollen voice box is making it difficult to breathe, but she had that problem before we went to Fletcher Allen on Thursday. The doctors checked her over and told me to call if it got worse. It was bad Thursday night and Friday night. I was up a lot those two nights, checking on her to make sure that she was still breathing okay. Luckily, it never quite became bad enough to take her back to the hospital. Last night, she slept better and breathed easier and today it is a little better than that.

We are still fighting the battle to heal her lips but we are winning. I don't know if the IVIG is helping at this point or if the continued heavy use of the Medicated Blistex is working wonders all by itself. Her lips look normal at this point, but if she lets us look under her top lip, a sore is still hiding there. However, this last remaining sore doesn't seem to be causing her any pain and she will let us lift her lip up to apply the Blistex directly to the sore. The remaining sore is not a nasty, white hole surrounded by angry, red flesh any more. It is only slightly off-color and there is no redness surrounding it at all. She even brushed her teeth all by herself tonight before bed, which is quite an accomplishment since teeth brushing has been a real battle these last couple of weeks because of the sores on her lips.

Her spirits have been good and her energy has been great. She played around the house all weekend with her brother - running laps from room to room and climbing stairs and sword fighting in between coloring, painting, and just being a kid. It would have been nice to spend more time with her while she was feeling good this weekend, but I had a lot of work waiting for me and it kept me busy all weekend. She played around me as I sat at my computer for hours on end. Since Friday after work, I created and published a new website for a company that I work for our of St. Johnsbury, and I wrote two college papers for a course that I'm taking as part of my Master's program. I am very pleased with myself for getting that done, but I am sorry that I missed another opportunity to play with my children. Unfortunately, weekends spent working are pretty common place for me when my college is in session. There isn't time to do the work any other time.

3 comments:

PleaseRecycle said...

Good news indeed!! Some parents at our clinic have said that the weekly Septra (Bactrim) suppressed their children's ANC and they had to cycle through several different antibiotics before finding one that didn't have that effect.

Hope all continues to improve and we're glad that Katie has good energy! Sending positive thoughts up North!

Sarah and Mollie and family

Tina Miller said...

Guys I am so glad that the cancer is still GONE!!! Hopefully she kicked that right in the rear! I feel so bad for her little lips, they look so god awful sore, poor baby. I am glad those are getting better. Have you tried Burts Bee?? I love that stuff but not sure how it would work on her lips,I am sure you guys know all about that.. I am so sorry Rick you had so much to do this wkend and could not play with the kids, but as Katie gets better and all I am sure there will be many playful times. I wish you guys all the best, keep your chin up and give some hugs for me..

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! I am so happy for you all!
Joanie