Friday, December 5, 2008

Neutropenic and Exposed to The Flu

Katie took a scheduled trip to Fletcher Allen Thursday for a lumbar puncture and chemotherapy. The only thing that made the trip unusual was that I wasn't feeling well. In fact, I was feeling pretty sick but since I wouldn't be expected to do much but wait for the chemo and the LP, I figured I could handle it.

All went well with the chemo and the LP, but as we were leaving the hospital, one of the nurses caught us and told me that Katie's blood tests had just came back and her ANC was a mere 360. She was neutropenic. I was also running a fever by this point.

Today, I went to see my own doctor because I was still feeling pretty bad. It turns out that I probably have the first case of the flu to be reported in Vermont this year. So far, Katie shows no signs of coming down with the flu herself but we are watching carefully and waiting. If she starts to run a fever, we are headed to Fletcher Allen for an extended stay.

One of the last things the nurse told us before we went home was to pack some bags. We would likely be back. I am hoping to prove her wrong.

1 comment:

Mike said...

The very first one in all of Vermont, Rick? But you're never early for anything! Well, right idea...wrong activity. Katie - get that ANC up and do your best to not catch what your Dad has...it may be a bit selfish, but I need to be able to come see you all when I come home next week! I miss you guys.
Love you,
Uncle Mike